Update as of 10/2016: Google has changed how to get phone support. The updated post is here: https://mcculloughwebservices.com/2016/10/31/get-phone-support-google-business-listing-2/
[Due to the high volume of calls we receive regarding Google My Business issues, we are only able to help existing clients.
Please contact Google for help instead (info at the link above on how to do that).]
Now, onto the post:
It is surprisingly easy to get a Google customer service representative to call you about your Google My Business (GMB) listing! First, we’ll go over why you might need help, and then we’ll tell you how to get your phone to ring.
Many businesses have trouble when verifying or accessing their Google My Business listings. Here are some of the more common issues:
You Requested a Postcard and it Never Arrived
In many cases, verifying your listing with Google entails
- Signing up for an account
- Giving Google your key business information (like your name, address and phone number)
- Receiving a postcard in the mail at the address you specified
- Following the instructions on the postcard, which involves navigating to the URL they specify and entering the PIN on your postcard
You Can’t Access Your Account
This typically happens when in one of a few cases:
- (Most common!) Someone who no longer works at the company used their personal or company email address to create the Google account and you no longer have access to this account to be able to receive a password recovery email
- You created the account so long ago that you can’t remember what email address you used and therefore can’t receive the password recovery email.
- You created an account with an email address that is no longer accessible. That email address might not longer be in use for a variety for reasons. For example, if your company is now using a different domain and all the email accounts were switched over to the new domain. Without that access, you can’t receive the password recovery email.
You Have a Lot of Duplicates
- When you have a lot of duplicates (we’ve see as many as 8), it is much easier to call Google and have one of their customer support team help you sort through each account.
How to Get Google to Call You
1. Sign into a Google account
It doesn’t have to be the one you are calling about.
2. Navigate to the Google help page
Go here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/3039617?rd=1
3. Click NEED MORE HELP in the top right
(click on any image to see a larger version)
4. Choose what you need support for
A box will pop up titled ‘The best way to get support.’ Select what you need. We’ll choose Verification as an example.
5. Provide more information on the support you need
After selecting Verification, they want me to specify more about the issue I’m having. Choose what makes sense for you.
6. Choose ‘Request a call’
Note this option won’t be available if the call center isn’t open.
7. Fill out information about your business
For the question ‘What is the public URL for your business’s page?’:
- Go here https://www.google.com/maps/
- Type your business name into the search box. Google will make suggestions right from this box.
- Click on your business name
- Copy the URL as shown below
8. Fill out call info and click ‘Call Me’
Your phone should be ringing in minutes!
We’ve heard you can tweet @GoogleSmallBiz (https://twitter.com/GoogleSmallBiz) for help!