Title Tag Length and Meta Description Length Preview Tool – 2018

**Last updated: March 24, 2018**

This tool was updated in March 2018 to reflect the 2018 meta description guidelines while still showing the 2016 meta description guidelines.  Unlike meta description guidelines, title tag guidelines did not change between 2016 and 2018.

Looking for earlier versions? See our 2015 title tag tool here.

Instructions

Enter your title tag, meta description or URL to see a preview of the Google search results page (SERP) on desktop.

Watch the pixel count below the box or the preview to know if you’re over the limit.

Enter your keyword to show bolding in the URL and meta description (not the title).

See more information below the tool.

Simulated view for guidelines before 2018

Simulated view for 2018 guidelines

More Information

This tool has been updated several times since we built it in 2015. The last update was March 24, 2018.

Recent updates take into account:

• the 600-pixel max title tag width
  • the title now breaks at whole words when you’re over the limit
  • 320 character meta description guideline for 2018, while still including the 2016 meta description pixel-based guideline.

Warning! It was not updated to reflect that Google sometimes truncates titles, then appends your business name.

There is a lot more information about this tool and title and meta description lengths in our prior post from 2015, please read it here before commenting.

8 Comments

1. Angelos Savvaidis on August 23, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Hey there,

Just wanted to say thank you for the tool. I started using it today and I think that you did a great job.
    Appreciate all your work and time.

Regards

• Rachel Arst McCullough on August 24, 2016 at 9:24 am

Thanks, Angelos! I appreciate the comment and am so glad you find it helpful!

2. Jason Zimelman on October 6, 2016 at 1:33 pm

The tool works great, Rachel. I found it through your comment on Dr. Pete’s Moz blog post. This seems to be a missing piece – good thought creating it! I really like how you show the actual pixel count.

• Rachel Arst McCullough on October 6, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Hi Jason, I am so glad you found it useful! We’ll keep updating it as things change!

3. John Ryan on December 10, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Hi Rachel. Greetings from Melbourne Australia.
    A quick question – would using YOAST SEO plugin on my WordPress sites achieve a similar result?

• Rachel Arst McCullough on December 10, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Hi John,

Australia! I guess it is tomorrow there 🙂

Yes, Yoast should provide a similar result. They write about that on this page: https://yoast.com/page-titles-seo/. I find our tool is most useful when writing tags to send to a client for approval, for clients who are not in WordPress, or for clients who write website content and have us enter it for them.

Happy tagging!

4. Colleen on April 3, 2018 at 11:07 am

Awesome post, very valuable. Thanks Rachel, we will promote

• Rachel on April 3, 2018 at 11:22 am

Great, thanks, Colleen! I am sure Truckee Chamber members will find it valuable in their quest for more online visibility.