Reviews are important. You need to have more reviews than your competition to stand out to potential customers and to search engines.
Making it easy for your customers to leave you a review on Google makes it more likely that they will take the time to write you the review.
Review links give you the power to send customers directly to the place they need to go.
In this post, we’ll walk through two ways to generate a Google Business Profile review link that will work on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices.
- Using your Google Business Profile Short Name
- By using the Google Places API website
1. Generating Your Google Business Profile Review Link Using Your Short Name
Get Your Google Business Profile (GBP) Short Name
If you already have a short name, skip to the section Generate a Review Link From Your GBP Short Name
Google now allows you to create a short name for your GBP page. It’s fast and easy to remember. It will look like this:
To generate your GBP short name:
- Login to your GBP dashboard.
- Click the “Info” tab.
- Scroll down until you see the option to set a profile short name. You’ll see it under your phone number.
- Enter a short name. Usually, this will be your business name.
- Click on the “Apply” button.
What if you have multiple locations? Add the city to your short name. If, for example, your business name is Mary’s Dry Cleaner, and you have one location in Berkley, one in Portland, and one in Las Vegas, you might choose the following short names:
If you don’t have multiple locations yet but think you might open some in the future you might want to go ahead and use the city name. If you have multiple locations in the same city you could use the neighborhood instead.
Using a short name is a good idea in general because you can put it on printed materials that ask people to give reviews. They’re great for posters, table tents, stickers, brochures, digital signage, and business cards.
Generate a Review Link From Your GBP Short Name
After you’ve created your short name you’ll be able to create a review link that looks like this:
In the case of our fictional dry cleaner, the review link would look like:
It’s easy to remember, easy to use, and easy to print on marketing collateral. It’s even easy to tell customers this review link verbally.
2. Use the Google Places API to Generate Your Google Business Profile Review Link
This method only works if your address is set to publicly show on your Google Business Profile listing.
It’s a good alternative if you are waiting for your short name to be approved.
- Go to the website for the Google Places API
- At the top right of the map, type your business name in the “Enter a location” field. A list of businesses will start to appear as you type.
- Select your business
- Look for the pop-up with the name of your business and a second line labeled Place ID
- Copy your Place ID
- Paste your Place ID at the end of this URL, after the equals sign, to create your link: http://search.google.com/local/writereview?placeid=
Once the Reviews Roll in, Respond
Just getting reviews isn’t enough! Make sure that once you have them that you are responding to each in a timely manner.
Sometimes, Having an Easy GBP Review Link Isn’t Enough
We know because we’ve compared sending a link versus using our fully automated review system. And, our system comes out on top.
Want to learn more?