Having an issue with your website can be frustrating!
We want to help you most efficiently, so we created this guide so you know what information to provide us when you are experiencing an issue.
When we have the right information from you, we can start to solve the problem.
Maybe there’s a bug we need to look into, or maybe we can point to a spot in your website manual to help you re-learn how to do something with your site that you haven’t touched in years.
Either way, we need basic information from you before we can start problem-solving.
What we need to know to handle your problem as efficiently as possible
Be sure to send the following information when you email us.
- What URL are you on? The URL is found on the address bar at the top of your browser and looks like https://www.yourwebsite.com. Help us get right to the page that’s experiencing the problem.
- What device are you using? Is the problem happening on a PC? Mac? iPhone? Android phone? If we’re not on the same device and don’t see the same problem, this tells us there might be an issue with the code behind the scenes and how it’s talking to that specific operating system.
- What browser are you using? We’ll check across different browsers, but often, one browser can be an issue while another is not. Knowing the browser helps us narrow down the source of the problem a lot faster.
- What did you try to do? It helps to have as many details as possible. It even helps to have screenshots if you can provide them. Providing video is an even better option.
- What did you expect to happen, and what happened instead?
When you arm us with all of this information, we’re able to solve your problem much faster!
Copy/paste these questions into your email
Here is a summary of the questions above for you to copy/paste into your email to us:
- What URL are you on?
- What device are you using?
- What browser are you using?
- What did you try to do?
- What did you expect to happen?
- What happened instead?
How to take screenshots or videos
Taking screenshots is the single most helpful step you can take if you want us to develop a good understanding of your problem.
- Windows comes equipped with an easy tool called “Snipping Tool.” You can type it into your search bar, and a little menu will appear. Hit the “Plus” sign, drag and drop the crosshairs over the image you wish to capture, and then release the mouse button. Then save the image so you can upload it to the email.
- You can also use a program called Screenrec. We like screen rec because you can send instant video messages and screenshots. Video is extremely helpful as it allows us to see the entire problem from start to finish. We often can’t duplicate the error, making it harder to find and fix. We can walk through the error ourselves when we see what you did from start to finish. Screenrec has easy instructions on their site.
- If you’re a Mac User, you can use Snagit or Loom. Loom is nice because it lets you record with a few clicks and share videos with an instantly-generated link.
- If you have an iPhone, here are instructions for making a screen recording.
- If you have an Android, use these instructions to make a screen capture or recording.
Rather not take screenshots or video?
You can schedule a time on our calendar to talk us through the problem or show us exactly what’s happening.
We’re devoted to helping you keep your website in great shape! By keeping communication clear, we can keep the entire process efficient and ensure you enjoy a frustration-free process whenever we work together.